English GCSE is separated into English Language and English Literature.
Under the English Language curriculum, students will be supported in learning to;
- read a wide range of texts fluently and with good understanding
- read critically and use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing
- write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately
- use grammar correctly, punctuate and spell accurately
- acquire and apply a wide vocabulary alongside knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology, and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- listen to and understand spoken language, and use spoken Standard English effectively.